- NAME OF CANDIDATE
ADAM MICHAEL MARTEL
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
St Peter Port
Service Delivery Manager
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
No first time independent candidate.
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
I hold the professional qualifications; Project Management (PRINCE2 and AgilePM)
Diploma in Business Administration
Diploma in online Marketing
MOE (Ministry of Entrepreneurship) Life Coach.
Also I am a mental health mentor for Project Semicolon
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
GTA University Centre – Service Delivery Manger (April 2016 to present full-time)
Collaborate Communications – Events Manager and Company Secretary (2015 to date part-time)
Royal Chambers Business Centre – Assistant Manager (April 2014- March 2016 full-time)
Moonpig.com – Team Leader (October 2012-March 2014 full-time)
Short break travelling (April 2011 – February 2014)
Generali International – Team Leader Corporate Services (2007-March 2011 full-time)
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
As directly involved with education working full time at the GTA University Centre (and part of The Guernsey Institute), I would be looking to reduce my full time hours down to a minimum if an option (or cease to work here once notice period completed to handover incomplete projects).The role of States Deputy would be my full time and full term primary focus to ensure I could give my full commitment.
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
My 2o years experience in the world of work, mainly in project management and event management are full transferable to the role of a States Deputy.Most if not all projects undertaken rely on good decision making, looking at risks, mitigating these risks wherever and however possibly. Being bold and ultimately pushing for completion in timeframes set out and being accountable at all stages. Clear communications is also a key factor.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
Hi am involved with few charities (on island and off island); WAG – Wellbeing Animals Guernsey, one of our dogs is a WAG dog and visits the Carey ward at the P.E.H once a week.GROW Limited – I volunteer to support them throughout the year, assist with farmers markets, flag days and also do my community social responsibility hours with them each year.
Project Semicolon (off island charity) – I am a mentor for this charity and community group (which helps over 2 million people worldwide) and other free one to one and group mental health online sessions.
Coaching for young adults – over the last three years I have been offering free coaching for young adults and anyone who generally approaches me to offer support.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?Look to agree a better way forward in regards to improving communication and transparency back to our islanders.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
I listen, have an unbiased approach, care about all island and community issues. I am approachable, reliable, honest and have the islands best interest at heart. Securing a Deputy position would be a salary decrees for me, so I am not doing this for any financial gain.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
I will always respect the decision made case by case even I do not go with the majority. The option to submit a requite is always available if the majority decision is slim and would be actioned accordingly.
- Any other comments you wish to add:
I have recently just had my 40th birthday this year and decided over 5 months ago I would stand as an independent first time candidate in this years elections.
I am not just standing for the experience and learning along the way, I am standing to be the voice for all the unheard islander, representing all parts of our diverse community and believe we do have the chance with the first island-wide voting to ensure we do get a fully inclusive and diverse government. I am going for aiming for a top 38 position.