- NAME OF CANDIDATE:
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT:
St Peter Port
Service Advisor @ Jacksons
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE: www.gabriel4guernsey.com
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates
I’m a new independent candidate standing for the first time, I do have first-hand experience though as my father, Brian Gabriel, was St Peter Port Douzaine representative in the States and then a States member from 2000 – 2008
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?I’ve not served on States Committees, but have been exposed to them through working in the Civil Service from 2007 – 2012
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
I’m an existing Douzenier for St Peter Port and was 2nd in a contested election in 2016.
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
I’ve previously had WorldHost training within the Civil Service and previously been a Prince2 Foundation and Practitioner, I’ve delivered successful projects for Guernsey Post and Jersey Telecom(in Guernsey).
I’ve had direct experience in negotiating contracts, partnership agreements and drafting service level agreements. I have had experience in public facing and customer service roles for nearly all of my career. I have a passion for Guernsey and meeting people – I qualified as an accredited Bronze Tour Guide in 2012.
In 1989 I qualified as a Queens Scout, one of only 100 nationally awarded that year
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
I’m currently a Service Advisor for Jacksons, providing the interface between the workshop technicians and the customer. Previously I’ve worked for the Civil Service at Traffic and Highways as a roadworks planner, while at the Education Department I upgraded the School Bus Service to meet the requirements of the service users and staff. Also, at JT as a Fibre Optic Network planner delivering 38 kilometres of new fibre optic network.
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
I will not be in full time employment if elected – a people’s deputy is a fulltime job and should be considered as such.
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
My skills in the transport and logistics roles for Guernsey companies have given me experience in public facing customer service roles and also project management. I actively engage, listen and serve my customers – if elected I hope to serve all 63,000 customers.
If elected I would like to serve on the Environment and Infrastructure committee, as I believe that my logistics and project management experience will play a part in defining and working with our infrastructure. I am also passionate about our environment and want to protect the natural beauty of Guernsey.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
During my work career I’ve delivered projects for Guernsey Post as part of a team that brought Federal Express to the Channel Islands, this involved negotiating with UK and USA parts of their business and adapting processes to suit Channel Islands legislation.
While at JT I was part of a team delivering fibre optic connectivity to every States of Guernsey building and developing the network, as well as building an excavation and roadworks programme to create as little disruption as possible to residents and road users, whilst delivering the project on budget and on time.
I have volunteered for the Scout Association as a Scout Leader, and Assistant Count Commissioner for Venture Scouting. I’ve also been a coach for Guernsey Youth Rugby Club.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation
Invoke Rule 26 earlier, sometimes speeches are too long and repetitive
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
I am customer focused and have listening and project management skills. I am a do-er and get things done without any faff.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
I will always listen to an informed debate, and respect all other parties and points of view. My service in St Peter Port Douzaine over the last four years has helped me develop these skills.
- Any other comments you wish to add: