NAME OF CANDIDATE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
St Pierre Du Bois
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
I am a current member of the States, elected in 2016.
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
I have served on: The Committee for Education Sport & Culture May 2016 – February 2018, as a Member and as Vice President The Committee for Economic Development May 2016 – to date, as a Member and as current Vice President
I have served on numerous sub-Committees/Boards: Blanchelande Governors, Director of the GTA, Director of Start Up, Chair of Digital Guernsey, Chair of Skills Guernsey, Co-Chair of the Finance Sector Forum
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
I was a Parish Douzenier for the Forest between 2012 – 2018.
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
I hold a BA Hons Degree in Japanese Language & Studies and I am professionally qualified with HNC in Business Administration, STEP (Society of Trust & Estate Practitioner) Diploma in Administration, IOD (Institute of Directors) Certificate in Company Direction.
The professional qualifications are largely based on financial management, legal frameworks, governance and administration.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
My present position is as a People’s Deputy. Until last year I worked in my own business called FWS Ltd, which I founded in 2008, after leaving the Finance industry.
It provided administration services to Finance sector associations and I sold my half of the company to my business partner.
I was also a co-founder of another business called Islandmums Ltd set up in 2009 which I sold in 2015. This was an affiliate marketing, community business which was the first in Guernsey to target families and use digital marketing primarily to do so.
Since 2007, I have intermittently helped with the administration and bookkeeping of a family business, a role which I am currently undertaking again.
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
Yes I intend to continue with the few hours a week that currently do with the family business.
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
My qualifications are very well suited to the skills set required to be effective in the States. Governance, knowing how to ensure that decision making is done well and that principles of integrity, openness and transparency are adhered to, is very important.
My recent achievement of the IOD Certificate, which is heavily weighted in current best practice in governance has updated my knowledge . The emphasis on understanding financial accounts is also very important, I have sat a number of papers during my working life with the Business Administration HNC, my STEP Diploma and recent IOD which required good knowledge of how to create, read and understand Financial accounts, how to budget and also how to calculate and understand financial ratios to measure performance.
Studying modules in the STEP Diploma and IOD regarding relevant legislation and my experience working in the Trust sector in drafting and reading Deeds and other legal documentation with legal professionals have given me a very good understanding of drafting and how to read legislation and also to understand policy formation and drafting of associated policy letters and the content of States Billets.
The Administration parts of the qualifications that I have studied via the Business Administration, STEP & IOD all stand me in good stead for having excellent digital skills, good written and oral communication skills as well as good organisational skills.
Setting up my own businesses has given me a good understanding of risk as well as a deep appreciation for the self-employed and entrepreneurs in our community. My achievement of a Degree in Japanese Language shows me to have a natural problem solving skills and a flair for creativity. I was schooled in Guernsey and in N. Wales. I was at University in Japan and Winchester. All professional qualifications have been done here in Guernsey.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
I set up the Guernsey Post Natal Depression Support Group in 2012. The aim of the group was to provide support to those suffering the effects of Post natal depression and their families. We co-ordinated volunteers who had suffered themselves who would offer a listening service as “peer support”.
We worked with Dr Jane Hanley a past President of the global Marcee Society a group of medical experts in the field of post natal depression, to launch the charity. We worked also with other family support charities, doctors, midwives, health visitors and the community to raise awareness of the effects of the condition and sign posted to professional support.
The charity was wound up in 2019 and the assets donated to the Bright Beginnings Charity who were well equipped to continue working towards the aims. I was the Chair of the group and in the time that I was involved I am confident that we not only helped many women and their families understand the condition and support them whilst they were suffering, thereby mitigating the long term and sometimes very damaging effects on the wider family, especially the children, but also I helped raise awareness in Guernsey of the condition.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
The Code of Conduct is still not tight enough and can be used vexatiously. I would like to see a “Right to Recall” for the electorate as the ultimate sanction on behaviour or performance.
I would like to see a standard set for governance in the States so that members, civil servants and the wider community are aware of what level we should be aspiring to achieve.
Training can then be delivered accordingly so that politicians can learn what best practice is and act accordingly. States members are not as professional or effective as they could be. They lack support for research and often because of a lack of training and experience in professional services the quality of debate and decision making is below what it should be.
It is also time that we brought in a time limit on speeches. Those longer than 12 minutes have often lost the attention of the listeners, it is hard to follow and wastes the time of the sitting of the States which is inevitably costly.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
My ability to communicate is my prime attribute to serve the island as a Deputy. I am an effective listener who wants to hear all opinions. I connect well with people in a constructive way, by speaking in plain English to communicate ideas, proposals and updates on States activities that affect their lives.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
Yes, I am able to respect the decision of the majority of a team, Committee or States of Deliberation that I am part of as long as a well-informed, comprehensive debate, supported by previous appropriate consultation, has taken place.
- Any other comments you wish to add: