- NAME OF CANDIDATE
Andrew William Taylor
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
St Pierre Du Bois
Entrepreneur (Taylors Coffee Shop, Tour Guernsey, Hedgerow Coffee Co.)
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?Prior to becoming self employed my full time education led into the States of Guernsey Apprenticeship Scheme studying Architectural Technology.
My learning style does not fit with traditional training. As a self taught entrepreneur, my focus has always been on measurable results for my business. I have completed extensive training as a barista & coffee roaster with some of the worlds coffee elite but I have always chosen to organise private tuition to achieve my maximum potential within a timeframe that suits my businesses needs albeit outside of the recognised framework.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
Architectural Technologist for 8 years (apprenticeship + 4 years full time).
My present occupation is listed above
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?For Taylors Coffee Shop, my main roles relate to HR duties – these will continue and represent at most, 2-3 hours/week. Through the procurement of a new roaster and automated weighing & bagging equipment, Hedgerow Coffee Co. will represent a single days work/week. If elected, this will continue with reduced growth forecasts, if I am not elected I will continue to grow this business.Tour Guernsey’s booking system is automated and a driver/guide is ready for employment (2021 season) if elected I would still want to operate a handful of tours myself as it’s an excellent way to have direct contact with visitors – it’s also a very enjoyable.
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
Having trained/worked as an Architectural Technologist – I can draft/read/understand construction drawings and visualise proposals. Working on many small construction projects with direct client interaction has given me a solid understanding of the importance of working to budgets. I also experience with commercial projects.Now with three successful business to my name, I have a proven eye not just for opportunity, but for the implementation of ideas. I am a strong advocate for small businesses and with the skills, experience and industry contacts needed to support meaningful diversification of our economy.Life generally?
Though I hate to put this in writing because it makes it seem false, I have genuine interest in talking to people, all people, on any topic at any level. I love to swim, cycle and tinker with old land rovers.The Committee for Economic Development: bringing balance with proper representation for industries outside of financial services, understanding their needs and barriers. I have a great understanding of tourism, it’s potential, and it’s long standing neglect by Government.
The Committee for Environment & Infrastructure: with 1/4 of the committees responsibilities relating directly to the built environment, I have the requisite training & knowledge to hit the ground running. Through Tour Guernsey I have worked within the framework under this committee and whilst considerate of regulations in place, I have direct knowledge of the restrictions they can place on sensible business growth (I acknowledge the potential conflict of interest here and, if elected, would take steps to remove the conflict of interest).
Enjoying an outdoor lifestyle with swimming and cycling, I am highly aware of our natural environment, it’s value and it’s under-representation. I support proper, green initiatives (as opposed to green washing), but understand the need for extensive engagement to avoid the polarised views held between previous committees and the electorate.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
I would like to partake in the current practices/procedures before commenting on how I’d want to change them, that’s not to say I don’t think changes will be required.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
Interpersonal skills: I actively enjoy interacting with others, from all walks of life, and have the natural communications skills required to build bridges. I am comfortable listening to others and confident asking questions. I choose to speak from my thoughts and feelings over pre-scripted speeches.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?Yes and no. To be able to “step back” within a business requires the ability to listen to employees and support their decisions, even where you may have differing views. Doing so has enabled me to expand my businesses. Conversely, I will not shy away from the fact that I will speak up against something I feel strongly against, but I do so in the most constructive manner possible.
- Any other comments you wish to add: