- NAME OF CANDIDATE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
I have been a Deputy for St Peter Port North since 2015, and between 2004 and 2012 I was a Deputy for the South East District
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
2017 – present President of the Committee for Economic Development
2016 – 2018 President of the States Trading Supervisory Board
2008 – 2012 Minister of the Treasury & Resources Department
2007 – 2008 Member of the Scrutiny Committee
2004 – 2007 Deputy Minister, Treasury & Resources Department
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
I hold a Masters degree in Law from Cambridge University. I have been called to the Bar in London.
I am a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
I am a non-executive director of three companies
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
Yes. I intend to retain my non-executive directorships
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
I founded the Praxis Group in Guernsey, now one of the largest financial services businesses (and one of the largest employers in any industry) in Guernsey. Through my directorships, I still have exposure to “life at the coalface”.
My political experience over the last 16 years has been mainly in treasury and economic development roles, and I would want to remain in the areas where my skills are most relevant.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
I have led or participated in various project teams within the States of Guernsey, including the University Working Party, the Seafront Enhancement Area group, the Covid-19 Recovery Advisory Group, the Future Partnership Delivery Group etc.
Outside of the States, I am a Trustee of Liberate In my previous States terms, I led the States Strategic Plan Group, the Energy Policy Group etc
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
When a Committee President resigns or is replaced, the new President should have the opportunity to propose the membership of his/her committee
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
I am a team player who gets things done. The States has achieved very little in the last 8 years, and needs to be led with vision and determination
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
Yes, I respect majority decisions and do not seek to constantly re-debate decisions which have been made
- Any other comments you wish to add:
I have ability, compassion and experience, and want to improve the lives of islanders