- NAME OF CANDIDATE
David De Lisle
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
St Pierre Du Bois
Current Deputy – previously policy advisor to governments, management consultant, university lecturer and teacher
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
Yes I have been a member of States since 2004 to 2020.
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
Environment Committee 2004 to 2008. Minister of Environment 2007 to 2008; Education Committee 2008 to 2012 Commerce and Employment 2012 to 2016 Education Committee 2016 to 2018 Economic Development Committee 2018 to 2020 Legislation Committee 2012 to 2020 Scrutiny Committee 2008 to 2012
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
Douzenier St Pierre du Bois 1999 to 2020.
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
Education: BSc London; MA Planning Toronto; PhD McGill Economics. Teacher Training – Goldsmiths College London University; Federal Government Languages Centre, Ottawa Management
Consultancy: Senior Consultant with Abt Research Associates of Canada, DPA Consulting, Hickling Corporation and Thompson-Hickling Aviation Public Service: Chief Economist and Secretary to Lands Protection Board Manitoba Government; Senior Economist and Manager Development Planning in Federal Government, Ottawa, Canada
Teaching: Lecturer at Brock University, Carleton University, Mc Gill University and University of Ottawa; Instructor College of Further Education, Department Head at St Sampson’s Secondary and in Canada Department Head Central High School of Commerce and Master at Lawrence Park Collegiate; In the UK Master at Eltham Green Comprehensive School and Adeyfield Secondary.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
Whilst a States Member active as a member of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, West Show Committee Member, Secretary of L’ Assembllaie d’ Guernesiais, Trustee of the Blind Association and past member of Council of la Societe Guernesiaise. Director of Le Marchant Properties Limited and Les Marettes Holdings Limited.
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
Will continue carrying my responsibilities as Director.
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
Dr David de Lisle has worked in both the public service, private industry and varied educational environments. The roles have all been demanding requiring flexibility, time management and adaptability to changing circumstances.
He has applied his varied experience to put plan into action and achieve results. He has made several conference presentations at home and abroad and has published articles in professional journals. This includes a host of reports for governments on various policy and planning issues and made representations to planning inquiries. I have spoken vociferously in our States and won over major policy decisions.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
I am very involved in my community events. The Heritage Agricultural Show has run for two years on family property in St Pierre du Bois and increased in success year on year. I have been a committee member of the West Show for well over a decade.
I have enjoyed participating in the States Cricket team and the friendly matches with Jersey. My interest in business comes from my families long background in farming, shipping and banking in town and country parishes of St Saviours, Forest and St Peters,.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
The speeches in the debates have to be cut to a maximum of ten minutes. We should have electronic voting. Mobile phones should be shut down during States debates.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
Compassion about where I live and proud of the island I serve. International experience in planning and economics which can and are applied throughout my tenure as a States member.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
I have graciously accepted the majority decisions in the States and at Committee level.
- Any other comments you wish to add:
I have enjoyed my terms in the States and the many challenges presented. I have affected the direction of many strategic decisions in education, planning, environment and economic development. There is much still to be done and I hope to make an effective contribution in the next term.