- NAME OF CANDIDATE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
St Peter Port
Managing Director of local Trust Company
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
I have never been a States Deputy.
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
I attended a UK grammar school and completed my ‘A’ levels studies. I did not attend university, preferring instead to enter the working world.
I have 36 years experience in the offshore finance industry and have been a member of the Institute of Directors. I have traveled extensively in both my work and personal life, and dealt with many different people and cultures.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
I have been the Managing Director of a local trust company for the last 7 years, a role that I am able to carry out part-time.
Prior to that I was employed in a consultancy role by a major bank undertaking work locally and in The Bahamas. Additionally, I co-own a mobile coffee business, ‘The Off-Road Coffee Company’ with my fiancee, which we bring out every now and then, for local rugby matches and seafront Sunday events.
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
Should I be elected, I would assess the time commitment required and this would depend on what role/responsibilities I was asked to undertake.
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
My experience in the private sector means I am fully aware of what is required in the real world, and my role as Managing Director means that I am a Prescribed Person in the eyes of the Guernsey Financial Services Commission.
As defined by the GFSC, this means I have demonstrated the necessary competence, knowledge and expertise to carry out my role, and that I have the integrity, honesty and reputation to execute the role in a fair, diligent and independent-minded fashion.
In my personal life I have traveled extensively for extended periods and fully believe that travel broadens the mind and offers different perspectives to the situations that we come across.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
I started volunteering at the Guernsey Rugby Academy 7 years ago, initially as a coach, and was then asked to become Treasurer and a Director, roles I have held for 5 years. In addition I am a qualified rugby referee and officiate in adult and age grade rugby locally and have even refereed in the UK for Hampshire League games. I was honoured to referee the recent inter-Island match between Guernsey Raiders and the Isle of Man team in front of a packed Garenne Stand.
I have participated in various runs/walks for a number of Guernsey charities, and also undertook a solo unsupported and self-funded bicycle ride across the United States from Canada to Mexico raising funds for Great Ormond Street Hospital.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
The very clear divisions in the States must be sorted as a priority. No government can function properly when one side won’t engage with the other.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
In addition to the above – a good solid dose of common-sense.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
Yes – I have sat on many committees, corporate board meetings, and indeed client meetings where there have been disagreements and where compromises were required.
- Any other comments you wish to add:
If elected I vow to not pursue any individual agendas and to act in the public good, remembering that was the sole reason I was put there.