- NAME OF CANDIDATE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
St Peter Port
Director of Education (retired)
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
I have never been a Member of the States but served as an adviser to political parties in the UK regarding Education.
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
I have not served on any States Committees but served on the Children and Young peoples plan with a mix of Political members, health and social care and education reps in the UK.
I have also served Nationally on a ‘Building schools for the future project,’ Job evaluation and restructuring projects as a Director of Education.
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
I have not served on any douzaine committees, but have a successful track record of committee working in my professional career. I have positive attitudes to the community leadership role of the States.
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
I have the following qualifications: Master of Arts Degree with distinction from Reading University ‘ Information Technology in Education’ Postgraduate ‘Diploma in Special Education’ and another in ‘Examining Professional Practice’ both at King Alfred’s College Certificate of Registration as an Inspector in England, Office for standards in Education ‘ Ofsted’ Entitled to Inspect Primary, Secondary and Special schools.
Teachers Diploma for the ‘Use of Computers in Education’ authorised to use the letters Dip RSA Managing People award from IBM UK Ltd National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH) Safeguarding Children Portsmouth Children’s Trust Senior Executives Awareness from Practice Legal Training Agency
A level English Grade A/ 8 GCSEs in Maths, English Lit and Lang, Science, History, Geography, Art and Religious Education
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
I was a Director of Education now retired, initially in Bournemouth and latterly in Portsmouth. I have been a Headteacher of a Special School for Autistic youngsters. I also held senior positions in schools for pupils with moderate learning difficulties with a broader range of spectrums.
I was an Education Inspector for Dorset and Poole as well as an OfSTED Inspector in Hampshire. I was an Adviser for IT in Education in Hampshire I taught at a number of schools in the UK and enjoyed teaching at Valnord Special School on the Island
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
I do not intend to work at any other job whilst fulfilling my role as a Deputy should I be successful
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
I have been part of corporate planning for a Nuclear Disaster simulation in Portsmouth with all agencies. I have also been part of the Corporate IT strategy for Broadband access across the City. I have been part of a team that has focused on Job Evaluation In Bournemouth resulting in Corporate savings.
I have lead and managed integrated services including multi agency working with the Police, Health services etc which have led to positive outcomes for children, young people and their families. I have also Developed strategic business plans, costed with timescales and governance built in that have effected change.
I have created and implemented service improvement strategies which have lead to significant improvements and reduced costs. I have lead and been part of high performing teams and have successful experience of the management of the range of personnel issues. I have effectively consulted with parents, children, young people, families and schools or institutions to develop and improve service provision.
I have substantial financial management experience with large budgets working within a political framework and briefing elected members. I believe all these experiences will stand me in good stead when fulfilling the role of Deputy. My preference if the committee system is sustained is to lead or work on either Education, Sport and Culture ESC or as part of the IT strategy.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
I have also been part of National and Local teams that have been successful in Building Schools for the Future and Corporate IT and Broadband across a City. I have a wide knowledge and understanding of national policies and the legislative framework working in education and/or children’s services. I have studied with interest the role of councils in working as Children’s trust arrangements. These have changed significantly as the role of commissioner has evolved.
I have developed change management policies to take account of this including the Children’s plan, Policy for SEND, ’Children First’, the Disability Equality Policy and Strategy, taking account of National intention in the context of local needs and requirements. I have also lead on equality representing the service as part of the corporate team and as the link with the service and schools. My involvement with the Department for Education National advisory group on the role of regional partnerships has helped me to co- ordinate a local strategy for Disability Equality within a National and Regional context.
These experiences I believe will be crucial in the States where Deputies will have a variety of skills and backgrounds and our attributes will be tested from the outset.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
I’d like to review governance, prioritisation of policies in the context of effective financial management including the ongoing response to the Pandemic, Brexit and the Free Trade Model which will impact on the island.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
I am particularly skilled at Education which of necessity will be a major priority in the next States Assembly. I am a good mediator and work well leading and being part of teams.
I have a broad range of skills that I believe will complement my professional career. I am interested in Photography, Painting, Swimming, Cycling and I read avidly.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
I am always mindful of majority decisions that may not be my preference but I have worked in this world all my life. Compromise is essential to achieve successful outcomes.
If I am not successful I am able to move on and tackle the next task.
- Any other comments you wish to add:
I would hope that this potted history of my life will be read in the context of My manifesto, The Hustings I will attend and any exchanges on social media or on my email exchanges. I will seek to represent Islanders well in the next Assembly and will be held to account for my pledges.