- NAME OF CANDIDATE
Garry Michael Colllins
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
Vale Deputy, No.7 Seat 2012-2016
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
Treasury & Resources 2012-2013 Commerce & Employment 2014-2016 Scrutiny Committee 2014-2016
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
Vale Douzenier – elected 2016 to present
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
I have held several senior roles over the last 20 years, my last role being a Team Head at an International Trust Company in Guernsey. I have step down from that role to be a full time deputy (if elected)
Qualifications (employment) ACCA – Certified Accounting Technician (2004) Specsavers Academy – Essential Management Skills (2010) plus 15 other professional courses over the last 20 years from Microsoft to Six Sigma
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
2020-2016 – Team Head (bookkeeping and accounting section)
2016-2012 – States Member
2012-2012 – Financial Planning Executive (left as elected to the States)
2007-2011 – Treasury Service Manager
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
I can add value to the Economic Development Committee, previous roles with Commerce and Employment Board will benefit and over 20 years within financial senior roles.
I can add value to the Education, Sport and Culture Committee, over 20 years in senior roles also within sport and major project building delivery in the private sector.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
Employment, created a centralised bookkeeping team in Guernsey, creating employment locally and helping the company to reduce the groups backlog to zero.
Community Sport, Chairman of the 2019 European Bowls Championships held in Guernsey, over 200 athletes, officials, spectators attending the Island for 7-10 days bringing huge economic value to the Island. I have also held major roles within the Commonwealth Games and World Bowls, delivering major events across the World.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
The rules are the rules, but I would like to see Deputies, use MGP after their name, as when dealing with other authorities it is much clearer, we are members of the Guernsey Parliament.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
Experience, youth, passion and knowledge
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
Yes, I have been a team player and respect team responsibility when decisions are made, however noting you are free in the assembly to vote according to your conscience.
- Any other comments you wish to add:
I have also been involved in the Commonwealth Parliament representing Guernsey at five events internationally during my time in the States 2012-2016.
My website details the 2,614 votes I cast in the States of Deliberation between 2012-2016.