- NAME OF CANDIDATE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
Past Managing Director/ Owner
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
I was first elected as a Deputy for St Sampsons in 1985 serving my Island both as a Parish Deputy then being elected in the first and second Island Wide election as a Conseiller
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
President of The States Of Guernsey Recreation Committee, Member of The Island Development Committee, Vice President Board Of Trade and Industry, Vice President Island Traffic Committee, Chairman States of Guernsey Constitution and Revue Committee, Vice President of Guernsey Telecoms, Member Of The Guernsey Electricity Board, Deputy Minister of The Environment Department.
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
No I went straight into being a Member of The States Of Deliberation, however always supporting the Douzaines
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
I received a College Education in the UK , gaining O and A levels in English and Maths. Then served as an apprentice Electrician with Ogier Bros, upon completion of this I joined my Fathers Company, F.W.Rihoy & Son Ltd.
Due to my late fathers ill health I took the Company over as Managing Director, building what become one of the largest Electrical and Fire Alarm Companies In Guernsey , employing some 20 loyal qualified staff. As a Company we undertook many major , complex Contracts both for the Private and Public Sector, which we gained a great deal of respect and trust from all our clients.
Running this very successful Company gave me a great deal of experience in staff management and administration, I administered and assisted with a complex accounting System, being solely responsible for major quotations, meeting clients and attending difficult site meetings. This gave me a great understanding of the importance of Managerial and financial skills.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
I was still the sole owner and Managing Director of F.W.Rihoy & Son Ltd until 2016, since then I am only involved in a small way with a Specific Client in managing their properties for all Electrical Services and Fire Alarms, also compiling accounts with the trust and respect I gained while under taking major Contracts on their behalf when fully running my Company
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
I do not intend to carry on working if I am fortunate enough to be elected as a Member of The States of Deliberation. When I was a previous States Member, I was still successfully running my Company also undertaking all my obligations to the Community as a Deputy and Conseiller. I am therefore fully aware of the amount of work required to be a States Member and will certainly have the time to dedicate myself to playing my part fully and comprehensively.
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
I sincerely believe taking into account my excellent Education, skills in managing and owning an extremely successful Company, being responsible for the Management of employee to respect their knowledge, administer their responsibilities with total respect, to ensure they undertook their wok in an effective and efficient manner.
Being a past Member of the Staes of deliberation has given me a vast amount of political experience in running and being part of major States committees and Departments.The experience I have gained from past members and Presidents has also been of great help. I have never lost my enthusiasm, compassion or ability, now retired, I can provide a significant amount of experience and total commitment during this difficult four years ahead
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
Obviously now being being more or less semi retired as I have explained , I did Chair with an extremely good committee and financed personally with certain help from banks, a Major Charitable Golf event.Raising over a period of 21 years approximately £130, 000.00 pounds for local disabled Charities. This was well supported during its days by over 120 golfers, which ran over two days with a presentation banquet , having each Governor of Guernsey at the time present as our patron. I am still involved in being part of my late fathers Senior golf competition held at the Royal Guernsey Golf Club annually.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
I am extremely keen to see all States Members working together, also less amendments against major policy letters which generates a loss of good financial resources. Strong Leadership from the Chief minister, with the power to remove Presidents or members of Departments if they are not working efficiently or corporately. I am also concerned at the level of remuneration a States member receives for just being elected, I believe a reasonable retainer and additional payments for each meeting attended, also the amount of 38 members could be reduced.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
I have a vast amount of business skills , covering all aspects of running my own business, financial expertise to ensure my Company was always running efficiently and effectively, not to mention what I achieved and learnt in being a past States Member . I was also grateful to attend many conferences in the Uk, IOM and other countries in obtaining a great deal of knowledge and respect in the way they run their respective Governments, major experiences I have gained and can now offer to the new assembly.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
Listening and watching over the last four years and being away from direct politics, yes I certainly can and if successful will certainly do so, I want to work closely within a Department and play a very constructive, well researched role.
- Any other comments you wish to add:
I sincerely believe all the points raised in your questionnaire cover all my personal details and comments, One thing I can say if the public do elect me, I can give my word I will never let them down.