- NAME OF CANDIDATE
Jeremy Charles Stewart Fulford SMITHIES
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
Retired Chartered Engineer. Serving Deputy
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
Current member. First elected 2016.
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
Vice-President, States’ Trading Supervisory Board, 2016-2020 Member, Development and Planning Authority, 2016 Member, Committee for Home Affairs, 2019-2020 Member, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, Guernsey Branch Executive Committee since 2019
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
Member, Vale Douzaine, 2003-2020, currently Vice Dean of the Douzaine.
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
I am a Chartered Engineer and a Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. I was awarded a Master of Business Administration degree in 1992, having previously received a BSc (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering and a BA in Systems and Organisation Management. I also have a Diploma in Systems Practice and I am a Registered Company Director in Guernsey.
Worked for Rolls-Royce (France) Ltd. as a Resident Overseas Executive, with overall responsibility for management of one of the company’s offices in South West France. I was involved in all aspects of engineering, manufacturing and commercial business.
Qualified as a teacher in 2000 with a Post Graduate Certificate in Education.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
Currently a States’ Member Taught mathematics and business studies, first at Elizabeth College and then at Blanchelande Girls’ College until 2010.
In 2011 I was employed as a Management Accounts consultant until my election as a Deputy in May 2016.
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
No, if re-elected I will continue to be a full time Deputy.
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
I have been involved with the States’ Trading Supervisory Board as its Vice President from Day 1 of its creation and would hope to continue to serve on that committee if re-elected.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
I have had a long association with local politics first offering myself for election as a People’s Deputy in St Peter Port in 1976. I was for some years a representative on the Negotiating Committee for Teachers & Lecturers in Guernsey.
As stated above, I was elected to the Vale Douzaine in 2003 and represent the Parish on the Guernsey Douzaine Forum; also elected to serve on the Baubigny Schools Committee (St Sampson’s High and Le Murier). In 2015 I was elected People’s Churchwarden at St Michel du Valle (Vale Church).
I have been a life member of the Guernsey National Trust since 1974 and was Vice-President of the Trust in 2004-5. I served on the Liberation Day Cavalcade Committee in 1975 having been jointly instrumental in its revival and re-joined on my return to the Island to help in organising the Cavalcade in 2000, 2005 and 2010.
Channel Islands Occupation Society, since 1974. Committee member 1976-8; Royal Commonwealth Society, Guernsey branch, since 2000. President 2004; Royal Channel Islands Yacht Club, since 2002. Board member 2013; Channel Islands Group of Professional Engineers. Committee member 2005; Corresponding Member in Guernsey for the Institute of Mechanical Engineers since 2010; Friends of the Vale Commons. Treasurer since 2016; Friends of the Priaulx Library, Member; La Société Guernesiaise, Member
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
I would like to see the practice of laying last minute amendments curtailed – too often we have seen carefully thought out policies being re-invented on the floor of the house.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
A solid business and engineering background with skills learnt whilst employed by a FTSE100 company.
A good understanding of local business from my early employment with Lloyds Bank, then with Condor and Onesimus Dorey Ltd. as Operations Assistant to the Managing Director and finally with British Island Airways. On my return to Guernsey in 1998, I worked as a Verification Engineer and Company Secretary for Dynex Technologies (Guernsey) Ltd., before going on to work as Financial Director for Sarnia Technologies and Instrumentation Ltd.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
Yes, for example, I spoke out in favour of a proposition which was defeated, following which I got
behind the majority decision.
- Any other comments you wish to add:
I am a highly qualified, good communicator who is self-motivated and a logical thinker. I am a proven team player and team leader capable of taking and giving direction.
I have the desire and experience to make a thorough success. I wish to continue to make full use of my skills and to utilise my specialist training in the analysis and solution of complex problems whilst drawing on my life experience as a Chartered Engineer, Commercial Manager, Administrator and Educationalist.