- NAME OF CANDIDATE
JOHN Alfred Bannerman GOLLOP
57 years I month
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
ST PETER PORT
Professional Politician , but also over the years small entrepreneur, company director , media personality as BBC SARNIA SAGE broadcaster, Political pundit Columnist at Guernsey Globe (part of Guernsey press group) also small landlord
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
in development with Submarine
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
I have been and currently still am a States Member since being elected a St Peter Port Deputy in 1997 May 1st 1997 onwards representing all of St Peter Port, and subsequently South and North until present day
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
I have served on many States Committees including 1997 to 2004 States Heritage, States Arts, States Broadcasting and scheduled buildings sub committees
1997 to 99, 2000 to 04. states Traffic Committee STC and also vulnerable road users group from 2002 to 04
2002 to 2004. Member of Jonathan le Tocq s Overseas Aid Committee. 2004 member Scrutiny committee until 2012
2007 to 08 member SACC House committee
2010 to 12 member states strategic plan policy group team
2004 to 08 Housing Department
2008 to 12 Culture and Leisure department
2012 to 16. Social Security department
2014 to 16. environment department
2014 to 16. Social welfare investigation committee
2016 to present Employment and social Security
Transport Licensing Authority
Legislation Scrutiny panel President of Legislation Select Committee 2008 to 12, Vice President working with Rob Jones 2012 to 16 (member from 2004] President – PERCC Parochial Ecclesiastical Rates Review Committee 2012 to 16 completion of project member from 2005 President – DPA Development and Planning Authority. 2016 to 19
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
I have never served as a parochial official or Douzaine member but have regularly attended all parish meetings and surgeries and drop ins with Douzaine members . I stood unsuccessfully for the St Peter Port Douzaine aged 23 in 1987 but got over 149 votes!
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
I think as the longest serving ever town deputy I have a unique perspective , I have a honours BA degree 2nd class from university of Kent in law from the faculty of social sciences , ten A levels from business studies and economics to accountancy , a certificate in hypnotherapy , psychotherapy and NLP, listening skills certificate and trust and company administration certificates with tourism studies all of which give me insights into personality dynamics, team working and policies for law and the economy .
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
I am efffectively a professional politician but have also been a landlord and small property developer. I am currently an executo To my late mothers will administering property in Alderney , I was a weekly regular columnist fur Guernsey Globe from 2007 to 16 Christmas. When regrettably the globe ceased publishing
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
I have to continue as an Executor, property developer, and would wish to gain part time opportunities maybe as a writer, marketeer, consultant or company director
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
My talents have suited me well for legislation scrutiny and states assembly work but my experience makes me a better fit for economic development and policy and Resources
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
Being disability champion and promoting autism and courses on being a Deputy at WEA participating weekly in economics discussions .
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
Wit, humor , analytical skills and the ability as a Cassandra to foresee the future
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
Reduce speeches length to maximum of ten minutes for most occasions and improve question time with more vigour
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
Yes I always politely respect the majority but sometimes we get better ideas ! And we need public consensus
- Any other comments you wish to add:
I think the assembly needs continuity and leadership and wisdom