- NAME OF CANDIDATE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
No. I have not been a member of the states previously. I am a new independent candidate.
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
Qualifications: I am a Fellow of The Chartered Governance Institute (www.icsa.org.uk). I hold a BSc (Hons) in Leisure Resource Management, an MA in Corporate Governance, and the Common Professional Exam (GDL) in Law. I am involved with the Island Scouts and I volunteer as a sailing instructor.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
I have worked in various roles and I have been a director of regulated financial service businesses for over a decade. during the last 3 years I have established my own small successful trust company. I also have two children and a very supportive wife.
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
No. I will wind down my involvement with my current business.
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
I am not afraid of hard work. When I needed to buy my first home I worked 3 part-time jobs, as well as my day job. My roles as a secretary and director on various firms has provided a wealth of experience dealing with laws, regulations, and personalities. I am able to achieve goals on behalf of stakeholders. In setting up my own business recently I also demonstrate ability to successfully manage budgets, people, and resources to achieve a goal.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
I have setup my own small business and we have 5 part-time employees. I assist with Island Scouts. I volunteer with sailing instruction. I recently qualified as a sailing instructor and I am very pleased to be helping make sport affordable and accessible.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
Transparency and governance; The States Scrutiny Committee need to be able to do their job. They need to be able to command answers and hold deputies to account.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
I have worked in various jobs besides finance so I am fully aware of the struggles that flow from earning a low wage. I have two children and therefore I am acutely aware of the problems with education. I have parents that require social care. I have a qualification and working knowledge of law, including experience reading legal documentation. Therefore, i am able to read and understand the implications of financial information, billets, and documents that a deputy has to consider every week.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
Yes. As a director of several companies I have often had to consider competing stakeholder interests and abide by the majority decisions even if I do not necessarily agree with it. However, should my disagreement with the decision be sufficiently strong then I would have to consider resignation from the committee.
- Any other comments you wish to add:
I will always do my best to work honestly and transparently for you and the Bailiwick.