- NAME OF CANDIDATE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
Having trained as a chartered accountant I worked in several large limited companies and then became the Finance Director in a merchant bank, Leopold Joseph & Sons Limited.
I came to Guernsey in the 1970’s and established the branch of this company here. Until 2014 I was a local councillor for Luton Borough Council (place of birth). Until 2015 I was a director of London Luton Airport I was a governor of several schools in Luton.
I have a property development company in the UK, residential and commercial, and have built health centres.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
Retired but still continue to manage my property and shares portfolios.
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
I have gained much experience in Finance and Taxation and I think this would give me the necessary expertise to hold a position on the Policy and Resources Committee and the Economic Development Committee.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
None in the last five years.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
I would generally favour the present system whereby the elected Deputies create the Policies provided the said Deputies were well qualified to do so.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
Lateral thinking – not necessarily agreeing with the ‘status quo’.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
If I was content that the relevant matter had been fully discussed, with all the necessary information and opinions heard, I would most certainly respect the majority decision.
- Any other comments you wish to add:
It would be good to see more deputies with ideas of creating more commercial income for the island rather than those that just wish to raise extra revenue through personal taxes.