- NAME OF CANDIDATE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
THE SCRUTINY COMMITTEE 2012-2016
DEVELOPMENT AND PLANNING AUTHORITY 2016-2020
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
ST PETER PORT 2008-2012
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
36 YEARS IN PUBLIC SERVICE INCLUDING SITTING ON THE FOLLOWING COMMITTEES:
THE FIRST BBC RADIO GUERNSEY ADVISORY COUNCIL 1983-86
ARTS COUNCIL THROUGHOUT THE ’80’S AT THE INVITATION OF MY GOOD FRIEND THE LATE JOAN OZANNE WHO IN MY VIEW WAS THE BEST AMBASSADOR FOR THE ARTS THE ISLAND HAS EVER HAD
ARTS COMMISSIONER 2006-12
FOUNDER MEMBER GUERNSEY POETRY IN MOTION 1982 WHICH EVOLVED INTO THE CURRENT GUERNSEY POETRY GROUP OF WHICH I HAVE BEEN FACILITATOR FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE LAST 10 YEARS, ORGANISING DOZENS OF RECITALS THROUGHOUT THE ISLAND
ST PETER PORT DOUZENIER 2008-12
EIGHT AND A HALF YEARS EXPERIENCE SERVING AS A ST PETER PORT NORTH DEPUTY 2012-20. IN THAT TIME I HAVE WORKED ON 287 ‘ONE TO ONE’ CASES WITH FELLOW ISLANDERS TRYING TO RESOLVE THEIR PROBLEMS WITH STATES DEPARTMENTS, TRAFFIC, NEIGHBOURS ETC ETC
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE MEMBER 2012-16
DEVELOPMENT AND PLANNING AUTHORITY 2016-20
CHAIRMAN OF AGE CONCERN 2013-16
FOUNDER AND CHAIR OF THE AGE CONCERN FUEL FUND 2013-19. I ESTABLISHED THIS FUND TO PROVIDE FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR ISLAND PENSIONERS WHO STRUGGLE TO PAY THEIR FUEL BILLS IN WINTER
CURRENT PRESIDENT OF THE GUERNSEY WALKING FOOTBALL CLUB
VOLUNTEER WAITER AT THE SALVATION ARMY CHRISTMAS LUNCH FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS.
PLUS I AM PRIMARILY A PEOPLE PERSON CONSEQUENTLY A GOOD LISTENER.
FROM 1976-79 I WORKED IN THE LARGEST RECORD SHOP IN LONDON AT THAT TIME (OUR PRICE RECORDS IN CHARING CROSS). I ROSE FROM SHOP ASSISTANT TO ASSISTANT MANAGER AND EVENTUALLY MANAGER WITHIN A YEAR.
I AM A QUALIFIED COMPLIMENTARY THERAPIST WITH DIPLOMAS IN PSYCHOTHERAPY/REFLEXOLOGY AND REIKI. I QUALIFIED AS A THERAPIST IN 1995.
I ALSO ESTABLISHED AND OPERATED MY OWN SUCCESSFUL DECORATING BUSINESS 1983-2012, CONSISTENTLY COMPLYING WITH CLIENT REQUESTS AND ADHERING TO STRICT BUDGETS AND SCHEDULES.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
DEPUTY. PRIOR TO BEING ELECTED IN 2012 I RAN MY OWN SUCCESSFUL DECORATING BUSINESS FOR 29 YEARS.
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
I HAVE THE ABILITY TO BE A TEAM PLAYER AS WELL AS A TEAM LEADER AS MY RECORD PROVES: PLEASE REFER TO MY ANSWER ABOVE. I HAVE EXTENSIVE BUSINESS EXPERIENCE. I’M A NATURAL SCRUTINEER. I’M A QUICK LEARNER. I’M NOT AFRAID TO ‘CHALLENGE’ THE SYSTEM SHOULD I FEEL THAT ‘CHALLENGE’ IS JUSTIFIED. I VALUE PEOPLE. I’M A GOOD LISTENER. I HAVE GOOD PEOPLE SKILLS. I HAVE GOOD ORGANISATIONAL SKILLS. I HAVE EIGHT AND A HALF YEARS EXPERIENCE AS A DATA CONTROLLER.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
I FOUNDED AND CHAIRED THE AGE CONCERN FUEL FUND. I DID SO BECAUSE I IDENTIFIED A REAL NEED TO FINANCIALLY ASSIST PENSIONERS WHO STRUGGLED TO PAY THEIR FUEL BILLS IN THE WINTER AND WERE ‘FALLING BETWEEN THE CRACKS’.
THEY WERE LITERALLY HAVING TO DECIDE WHETHER TO HEAT OR EAT AND THAT REALLY CONCERNED ME. SO I WENT OUT INTO THE COMMUNITY SEEKING FUNDS AND I WAS ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED WHEN SEVERAL GENEROUS BENEFACTORS DONATED SUFFICIENT FUNDS FOR US TO OPERATE THE SCHEME.
I HAVE VOLUNTEERED MY SERVICES AS A WAITER FOR THE SALVATION ARMY CHRISTMAS LUNCH FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW. THE FOOD IS ALWAYS FABULOUS AND THE ATMOSPHERE IS ALWAYS WARM AND FRIENDLY. I ATTENDED THE VERY FIRST WALKING FOOTBALL SESSION HERE IN THE ISLAND JUST OVER FIVE YEARS AGO AS A PLAYER AND I AM NOW IN THE PRIVILEGED POSITION OF PRESIDENT OF THE GUERNSEY WALKING FOOTBALL CLUB.
THANKS TO OUR HARD WORKING COMMITTEE WE HAVE GONE FROM STRENGTH TO STRENGTH. WE STARTED THAT VERY FIRST SESSION WITH SIX PLAYERS AND NOW WE HAVE ALMOST 70 PLAYERS REGISTERED WITH US. THE AGE RANGE IS FROM EARLY 20’S TO OUR OLDEST PLAYER WHO IS 71. WE HAVE MALE AND FEMALE PLAYERS REGISTERED AND WE LIKE TO THINK OF OURSELVES AS ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY. WE BELIEVE AND EMBRACE ‘INCLUSION’ AND WELCOME ALL PLAYERS OF ALL ABILITIES.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
STATES REPORTS HAVE EVOLVED INTO DOCUMENTS THAT ARE NOW FAR TOO WORDY AND REPETITIOUS, WHICH IS A WASTE OF STAFF TIME, DEPUTIES TIME AND RESOURCES. THAT’S SOMETHING I’D LIKE TO CHANGE.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
AS I’VE SAID IN PREVIOUS ANSWERS I AM PRIMARILY A PEOPLE PERSON. I LIKE WORKING WITH PEOPLE AND TRYING MY BEST TO HELP THEM RESOLVE THEIR PROBLEMS. I’M A GOOD LISTENER. I’M A GOOD ORGANISER. I SEE THE VALUE IN BEING PRAGMATIC AND DIPLOMATIC. I SEE THE VALUE IN WORKING COHESIVELY AND COLLABORATIVELY. I AM WILLING TO WORK WITH ANYONE. I AM NOT AFRAID TO ‘CHALLENGE’ THE SYSTEM IF I FEEL THAT ‘CHALLENGE’ IS JUSTIFIED, BUT I REMAIN PROFESSIONAL AND RESPECTFUL AT ALL TIMES.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
- Any other comments you wish to add:
THE NEXT ASSEMBLY NEEDS TO ‘HIT THE GROUND RUNNING’. IT NEEDS TO BE PROACTIVE AND IT NEEDS TO BE PROGRESSIVE. THE TIME IS NOW TO ATTAIN ‘JOINED UP GOVERNMENT’ AND NOT JUST TALK ABOUT IT. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY INTEREST IN PERSONALITY POLITICS AND NEVER WILL HAVE. THE NEXT ASSEMBLY REALLY DOES NEED TO WORK COHESIVELY AND COLLABORATIVELY.