- NAME OF CANDIDATE
RICHARD JOHN SKIPPER
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
St Peter Port
PUBLIC HOUSE LANDLORD – SELF EMPLOYED
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
First time candidate
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
Never served before
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
During the course of my career in hospitality and retail i have gained many certificates in the whole area of Customer Service and a support network for employees on Human resources, including induction and budget control of departments.
Although not certified i have also gained skills in personnel development of new staff.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
I have been a landlord and sole trader of a local public house since 2015 We have demonstrated ourselves to be a community based ‘local’ and have spent many days organising participation of local charitable events.
I am solely responsible for purchasing, cost control, hiring of team, hygiene, risk assessments and health & safety of the premises.
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
I intend to hold the liquor licence and remain director of the limited company, i will also work on the odd occasion, hosting quizzes etc;.
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
Conversations on an hourly daily basis have sparked my passion to see change in Guernsey and a real representation of the working person on our island. Hearing many real life stories stories , hardships , family concerns , anxieties and a trust built up has encouraged me to represent the community on a political forum.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
Fundamentally the most exciting part of my daily work is to create charity events wherby we can all demonstrate ‘ community ‘
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
I have witnessed many deputies decisions come and go , i have listened to debates of intent to change things, but in the scheme of things many folk continue not to be heard.
More contact with the public , more local consultation with the local community and those skilled We have a wealth of experience on the island resources untouched particularly in enviroment, education and health . Young people also need to feel there is substainability for them , so they also need to be heard. so much more cohesion.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
A LISTENER – IF ELECTED I PLAN TO OPEN A COFFEE SHOP IN TOWN FOR THE COMMUNITY TO COME VISIT TALK ABOUT PRESSING CONCERNING ISSUES WE ARE ALL FACING
Not a monthly surgery but a daily drop in
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
- Any other comments you wish to add: