- NAME OF CANDIDATE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
St Peter Port
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
St Peter Port Douzenier 2015/2016 to present
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
Civil Servant in the late ’60’s early 70’s – created an Import Company in the USA importing UK products into the States.Highly successful. Worked with a Federal bureaux helping “seniors” to upgrade their homes – all materials supplied – all labour from family pool. I co-ordinated both streams.
Stockbroker – whilst knowledge of stocks and shares is outdated and virtually useless – the knowledge of the mechanics of flotations etc. might be of use. Knowledge of construction, interior design and house maintenance and the ability to read plans.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
Interior design and sales – ability to draw manually room plans, elevations and illustrations
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
Social Security and Planning
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
In 2017 St Peter Port Douzaine’s Floral Committee used La Vallette as part of their work for Britain in Bloom’s Champion of Champions competition. I believe it is irresponsible to work on a site and then hand over maintenance to others. I have continued to try to maintain the area working with individuals and also given much help from Probation who send teams to work with me on Saturdays and Sundays. Most recently we have been painting the railings and subsequently the benches. Land Management have aided by paying for the paints and supplying ancillary items
What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
All initial paperwork produced for discussion should be in plain English without the padding of legalese. It would make Billets easier to read and easier to absorb
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
Logical mind and tenacity to see a project through. A conscience to keep me honest.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
- Any other comments you wish to add: