- NAME OF CANDIDATE
SANDRA ANNE JAMES MBE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
RELEIF MANAGER AT LES BLANCS BOIS
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
YES – 20102 – 2016
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
DEPUTY MINISTER SOCIAL SECURITY HEALTH & SOCIAL SERVICES COMMITTEE PUBLIC ACCOUNTS COMMITTEE CHAIR OF COMMONWEALTH PARLIAMENTARY COMMITTEE (GUERNSEY BRANCH)
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
REGISTERED NURSE COMMUNITY MENTAL HEALTH NURSE DIPLOMA FURTHER EDUCATION TEACHING CERTIFICATION CERTIFICATE IN MANAGEMENT STUDIES INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS & HUMAN RESOURCE DIPLOMA
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
CURRENTLY A RELIEF MANAGER AT LES BLANCS BOIS RESIDENTIAL; COMPLEX SENIOR MANAGER AT HEALTH & SOCIAL CARE SERVICES PROJECT MANGER HEALTH & SOCIAL CARE SERVICES
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
YES PART TIME
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
My professional and political career has afforded me huge opportunities in life. Having held many senior positions which required management, appraisals, team leading, role modelling, encouragement and development of staff. First nurse in Guernsey: – to be seconded to undertake Community Mental Health Nursing Diploma at Manchester University – to be funded to undertake a Further Education Teaching Certificate – to be funded by the RCN to undertake I R & HR Diploma at Keele University – to be funded to undertake Certificate in Management Studies at College of Further Education – to be awarded the ICCI Bursary to investigate Alcohol & Drug Treatment services in UK & USA
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
The last ten years of my professional career I undertook a number of large projects. The most important and demanding was the review, evaluation and implementation of new pay and conditions of employment of 1000 nurses and midwives. This required the training and education of management and staff representatives in job evaluation processes, elimination of gender bias during job matching.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
I would very much like to see a review of our government processes and procedures. Perhaps with time limits set for certain speeches, I think the Bailiff should have greater authority over proceedings. Repetitive points should be curtailed. Far greater self control by States members should be exercised.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
I have always taken my responsibilities seriously with commitment and dedication. I have a high level of openness, honesty and integrity. I respect those with differing views.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
I Chaired the governing body of the Royal College of Nursing, the worlds largest professional body for nurses and midwives, that Body is made up of 40 members representing 4 countries. Decision making was the same of as Guernsey’s States, by consensus.So I am very familiar with the respecting the democratic decision making process. As a member of the Coalition of Independents, part of our pledge is to – ‘Support decisive, effective government and respect the democratic majority’.
- Any other comments you wish to add:
I have been a Founder member: – Association of Guernsey Charities – Dr Barnado’s’ – Women’s Refuge Member of States Members Conduct Panel Guernsey Institute Nominated 3 occasions for Ambassador of the Year Ward Award for promoting Guernsey national and internationally Presented conference papers of nursing during the occupation Awarded the MBE for services to nursing, locally, nationally and internationally.
- NAME OF CANDIDATE