- NAME OF CANDIDATE
Simon De La Mare
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
St Peter Port
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
I have an Accounting and Taxation degree and a number of years working in the local finance industry.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
I am currently in pensions administration and have been doing this for the last two and a half years. Before this, I have had a number of administration roles.
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
Yes, at least long enough for my current employer to find and start training a replacement.
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
I believe I have a good grasp of financial matters and understand the importance of budgeting. I have also had years of experience working with a local disability charity, which has given me a good understanding of the challenges faced by this group of our society. If elected, I would wish to serve on ESS.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
I have been a part of the Guernsey Disability Alliance and have supported their efforts to raise awareness of the challenges faced by disabled islanders.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
Introducing electronic voting, to speed up the process in States meetings.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
A balance of a good head for figures and an understanding of the real life challenges faced by members of our community.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
I can accept the majority opinion as there will never be a time when everyone agrees on everything.
- Any other comments you wish to add: