- NAME OF CANDIDATE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
Assisted Living Owner/Operator (California) Retired
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey
Born with Cerebral Palsy. I trained as a Solicitor in London, which with my professional/ personal experiences, has given me the ability to read large complex documents, quickly and reflect on facts presented, prior to making decisions.
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
Currently retired – Co-Founder/C.E.O. John White Institute a Foster Family Agency, in West Covina, Los Angeles County, California. Some years later, I was also Co-Founder/C.E.O. of: Gracious Living of Santa Barbara, in California. The Company operated residential care facilities for adults, living with dementia.
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
No being retired will enable me to make a full commitment to the hard work necessary to gain the full knowledge to support good decisions, which, if elected, I would be called upon to make for the benefit of the people of Guernsey
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
When I first arrived I California, I worked as an advisor to parents, with handicapped children on Native American Reservations in Nevada and California. Later on, I worked, for eight and a half years as a Senior Social Worker (for Children and Adults) on an Emergency Response Unit in Riverside County California
I would like to serve on the HSC and Social Security Committees, because I have lifetime experience in advocacy, for those who are disabled; and twenty plus years, professional experience in the provision of social services
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
With my wife, Ruth, we wrote, and executed a plan to establish and operate the John White Institute to honour her late husband, John, who taught at the Grammar School in Guernsey. The Institute employed 75 foster families, (who between them cared for 200 children), and employed 45 Social Workers.
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation
Accountability within the Civil Service.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
Challenge out of date assumptions, and the status quo, which hinder Guernsey’s ability to develop its own markets, as the Island strives to create economic wealth.
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
- Any other comments you wish to add:
When I was considering, in the Summer of 2019. whether or not to run as a candidate in the 2020 Election. I recalled the words of H.M. the Queen who said:
“…..the decisions we make now will be judged by the effect they have on our Grandchildren, and Great grandchildren……..”