- NAME OF CANDIDATE
- PARISH WHERE RESIDENT AT PRESENT
St Peter Port
- EMAIL ADDRESS
- MANIFESTO WEBSITE
- Have you previously been a member of the States and, if so, between which dates?
- Have you ever served on any States’ committees and, if so, which ones and when?
- Have you ever served as a parish constable, douzenier or procureur of the poor and, if so, between which dates and which parish?
- What education, training, qualifications (whether professional or vocational) and experience do you have which would be advantageous in being one of the 38 Deputies representing the people of Guernsey?
CIPR advanced certificate
Skills I use daily in my role as an events manager are: – Project management – Supplier tender processes, liaison and relationship management – Contract negotiating – Publicity and internal communications – Budget management – Evaluation and assessment – Crisis management – Communication with a wide range of stakeholders – People and team management – Committee member and chair – Attention to detail – Foresight – The ability to manage many tasks at once – Solution finding
I’ve also volunteered for several charities in the community
- What is your present occupation and what other positions have you held in the past ten years either as employee or employer (in the case of present or former States’ members please include outside work done (if any) whilst serving as a member)?
Events Manger – I have been in this role for the past 13 years
- Do you intend to carry on working besides fulfilling your duties as a States’ member if elected?
- Indicate how your qualifications and experience of life generally will bring value to the work of the States in the discharge of all its many functions, governmental, legislative and administrative. Indicate, if you wish, two particular committees where you feel you can make a contribution and which skills and attributes you have which would fit you for such roles.
The professional skills I have listed above, gained throughout my career, are all transferrable and valuable to the role of Deputy. Some of the life experiences I think will be valuable are: moving to Guernsey on my own as a 19 year old and making a life here, being a single parent of a secondary school aged child, taking part in long distance running events which require grit, discipline and determination, living in private rental, working in corporate organisations with gender inequality at senior level, experiencing in-work poverty, not being able to afford to buy a home, traveling off-island to visit family, being part of the LGBTQ+ community, volunteering for various charities in the community, growing up with domestic abuse and experience of mental illness. Many of my life experiences are representative of our community and I think that lived experience and empathy is of true value when serving them.
Committees If elected I’d like to be on SACC as I believe my evaluation and solution finding skills would be exceptionally useful in the island wide voting review. I am also adept at assessing how processes can be refined to be more efficient. HSC & ESS are both areas I’d like to be involved in, they both have large mandates covering subjects I’m passionate about. Prioritising projects and managing many tasks at once comes naturally to me, I’m at my best when I’m busy.
- Give details of any team or project activity in which you have engaged within the last five years where you feel you have contributed to benefitting your employment or community: (a) in your work (b) in your voluntary charitable, sporting or social life.
At work (I have focussed on projects that are in addition to my day to day work) – Flexible working employee consultation group – Diversity & Inclusion engagement groups – Community Sports and Social – committee member and Chair – PRISM; LGBTQ+ employee support network – involved in the creation and activation of this group
In the community – Pride organising committee member – 2016, 2018, 2020 – Meals on Wheels delivery volunteer – Guernsey Voluntary Service flag days – Women in Public Life committee member and lead on support programme for candidates – Women’s Refuge night shift volunteer – Volunteer at the Holy Trinity Church Christmas lunch – Marshalling at various sports events such as the All Terrain Challenge and Try a Tri triathlons
- What is the first thing (if any) you would like to change in the present practices or procedures (not the policies) of the States of Deliberation?
Publicising the addresses of Deputies – I’m sure there will be more once I know them more fully.
- What do you regard as the prime attribute or special skill you have to serve the island as a deputy?
- Given that matters can rarely be decided unanimously, are you able to respect the majority decision of a team or committee of which you are a member after respectful and informed debate?
- Any other comments you wish to add:
I’d like to ask voters to remind themselves what is important to them – it might not be covered under this set of questions.